Military Appreciation All Year at the ReStore
Every day at our ReStores, you will find items at low prices for a great cause. Each purchase made at our ReStores helps us build and repair homes throughout the San Gabriel Valley. We are proud to say that over the last few years we have served several veterans, and their families, through our homeownership and home repair programs.
With May being Military Appreciation month, it seems like a great time to remind shoppers about the discount at our ReStores available to all active and non-active members of the military every day, all year. All active and non-active members of the military receive a 10% discount at our ReStores. If you know a member of the Military, make sure to let them know about the discounts available to them.
The month of May ends with us celebrating Memorial Day to remember the sacrifice and service of members of the military. Make sure to stay tuned for upcoming sales both online and in-store. This year our Duarte ReStore will be open on Memorial Day with a storewide sale available to everyone.
Here at San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity we appreciate members of the military for their service to our country. We employ veterans at our ReStore and have had veterans volunteer at our ReStores throughout the years.
If you, or someone you know, is a veteran or active member of our military interested in our home repair program please contact our Home Repairs Services team for more information.
Volunteer at the ReStores!
“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands — one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Audrey Hepburn
April is National Volunteer Month and we want to highlight the volunteers that help our ReStores thrive. Each ReStore relies heavily on the selfless energy that our volunteers bring every day.
Volunteering at one of the ReStores is a great way to help your community and families all year long. Did you know that volunteers as young as 14 years old can volunteer at our ReStore? We host individual volunteers and volunteer groups from high schools, churches and community groups. Recently, we had a group of students from Arcadia High School volunteering bright and early on a Saturday morning. As a volunteer you can find yourself as a part of a team for the day, knowing that you are a part of something much bigger.
Meet future Habitat homeowner partner Liliya Stepanian, who was working on her 100 sweat equity hours towards her new Habitat for Humanity home. Liliya appreciates her time spent volunteering at the ReStore, “It’s a great opportunity to help the community and also to help yourself.”
Last year, we had more than 170 volunteers complete over 4,600 hours. Volunteers help us keep our ReStore organized, unbox new donations, sanitize our gently used items and help assist our ReStore staff with various. We offer morning and afternoon shifts throughout the week, Monday through Saturday.
San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity hosts volunteers on our build sites, in our office, during events and at our ReStores. If you’re interested in volunteering, you can sign up here!
Spring Cleaning with the ReStore
It’s officially SPRING! You know what that means? Time for spring cleaning! Don’t worry, the ReStores are here to help. Not only can you count on us to pick up your donated items, but our ReStores sell various cleaning and organizational supplies too.
Spring Cleaning Tip #1- Schedule your Donation Pickup!
Our ReStores provide a low-cost pickup service for your used furniture, appliances and building supplies. As you start your Spring cleaning, give us a call or email to schedule your pickup. When you’re ready, we’ll come by to pick up the dresser that’s been in the garage for years, the patio furniture you need to clear up before the new set arrives or that stack of unused tile from your bathroom project 3 years ago. See the list to view items we will accept for donation.
Spring Cleaning Tip #2 – Deep Clean & Organize Your Home
Our ReStores receive a weekly donation of various cleaning and organizational supplies. All of the products that we sell are at a low cost and often in bulk quantities. We also receive weekly donations of fresh linens and appliances. Spring is a great time to freshen up and stock your linen closet with new towels and bed sheets.
Spring Cleaning Tip #3 – Freshen Up the Paint around the house
This spring is the perfect time to add a fresh coat of paint. Both of our ReStores carry ½, 1- and 5-gallon buckets of paint in 17 colors at a low cost.
Prices range from:
½ gallons – $10 (limited colors only)
1 gallon – $15-$20
5-gallon buckets – $85-$96
Although our ReStores are open year-round, Spring is an especially fun time at our ReStore. As everyone is doing their Spring Cleaning, our ReStores fill up with lots of gently used furniture ready to find a new home. Make sure to stop by our ReStores either in person or online for all of your Spring Cleaning needs.
ReStore Safety Precautions
Take a behind the scenes virtual look at our newest location in Duarte. Our flagship location has great stuff waiting for you at amazing prices. Better yet, every purchase helps families achieve strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter.
We’re excited to have you visit us – and we’re making sure to keep you safe while you shop! Safety procedures are now in place so every visit to ReStore is a healthy one.
Face masks must be worn by all employees and guests
Hand sanitizer will be available for you while you shop
High touch surfaces and shopping carts will be cleaned hourly
15 guests will be allowed in the Duarte ReStore at one time. Senior shopping hours are Friday 9-10am.
Social distancing measures are in place
All donated items are thoroughly sanitized before they are placed on the sales floor
We’re ready for you at both our Atwater and Duarte ReStores!
Our Increased Response to COVID-19
March 31, 2020
Since I wrote to you on Monday, my team and I have been closely monitoring the escalations surrounding COVID-19, and we believe now is the time for us to do even more to protect you and the community for which we deeply care.
Here are the protective measures we’ve enacted as of today and how you can help:
What we’re doing:
- Atwater Village & Azusa ReStores Temporarily Closed: Beginning today, both stores will temporarily close until further notice.
- Donation Pick-Ups Postponed: Suspended until further notice. If you have scheduled a pick-up within this period, we will contact you to reschedule.
- No Donation Drop-Offs: Currently suspended until further notice.
How you can help:
- Shop the Online eStore: Open 24/7 to anyone who would prefer to shop online from the comfort of home. We offer free shipping for all purchases. Supplies and quantities are limited.
- Save Your Donations: While we cannot currently accept pick-up and drop-off donations, please save your items for donation because we’ll need your help to restock our stores.
- Be the First to Know: Sign-up for our e-newsletter or check our website to receive the latest updates about ReStore openings, donations and our online eStore.
What we’re doing:
- No Construction & ReStores Volunteers: All construction sites and ReStores are closed to volunteers until Wednesday, May 18.
- Team Build Days Postponed: If you’ve scheduled a team build day between now and Wednesday, May 18, we’ll contact you to reschedule your day.
How you can help:
- Prepare for a Busy Build Season: Take steps to stay healthy—we have a busy build season ahead of us and we’ll need your help to build, repair and rehab homes!
- Be the First to Know: Sign-up for our e-newsletter or visit our website to receive the latest updates about team build days, individual volunteer opportunities and much more.
- Sign-up for Our Priority List: Be first in line for team build days once our sites re-open by adding your group to our Priority List.
Special Event: Women Build
What we’re doing:
- May 1-2, 2020 Women Build is Postponed: Women Build will be rescheduled for later this year. Visit our Women Build page for more details.
How you can help:
- Already Registered? Keep the Momentum Going: Click here to continue fundraising, consider forming a team or add new team members.
- Submit a Spirit of Women Build Award Nomination: Do you know an amazing woman in our community? Tell us about her by completing a nomination form.
- It’s Not Too Late to Join: Become a sponsor, create a team or join as an individual! Click here to get started.
What We’re Doing:
- SGV Habitat Offices Closed to the Public: While are offices are closed to outside visitors, we are working hard to serve the community.
- Have an Appointment with Us? A staff member will contact you to reschedule or to change your meeting to a video or phone appointment.
How You Can Help:
- Call, E-mail and Visit the Website: In lieu of visiting our offices, construction sites or ReStores for the time being, please call (626) 387-6899, e-mail and or visit our website for regular updates.
What we’re doing:
- We are accepting and processing applications, but there may be delays in scheduling approved repairs until work can be completed safely.
Show Your Support with a Donation
Unfortunately, this unprecedented pandemic hinders our current ability to serve the families that are still vulnerable in our community—to whom a missed paycheck can mean catastrophe.
I invite you to join me in keeping the most vulnerable in our community, our government leaders, and medical professionals in your thoughts and prayers.
I look forward to the time when we can re-open our ReStores, offices, and construction sites, bring our staff back together, and invite you to continue our important mission in person. Until then, we’re just a phone call, e-mail or website visit away. Please take care of yourselves, your loved ones, and others who may need help.
Mark Van Lue, Executive Director | San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity
COVID-19 Operations Update
March 16, 2020
Dear Habitat Supporter:
The leadership at San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity is closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic. The continued health and safety of everyone around us is of our utmost concern and guides our response to this fluid situation.
We are taking additional measures to keep you, our staff and community safe. We will continue updating you as the situation evolves. Below is our current plan as of March 16, 2020 and how you can help.
All team build days are postponed until further notice. We will continue work on our construction sites with staff and our workforce development partner. We are still able to accept a limited number of individual volunteers. For more information, visit VolunteerHub or contact Leah Schueler. We strongly suggest that you check the CDC website and follow all directives relative to your health and the health of others.
Future volunteer activity will be evaluated on a daily basis.
SPECIAL EVENT: WOMEN BUILD
In accordance with CDC recommendations to limit gatherings to 50 people, we are postponing Women Build, originally scheduled for May 1-2, 2020, until later this year. Even though we are delaying the build event, there’s a lot of good you can continue to do for Women Build and the overall cause of affordable housing! We invite you to fundraise, register yourself/add team members or nominate a woman for this year’s Spirit of Women Build Award! We will provide updates by e-mail to all our registered participants and also post regular updates on our website.
Our Atwater Village and Azusa ReStore locations will remain open at this time. In keeping with our good housekeeping standards, all donated items are cleaned and prepared for sale, and frequently used surfaces are cleaned at regular intervals during store hours. Staff has been instructed to follow all CDC health, safety and hygiene guidelines and are instructed to not report to work if they are not well. Donation pickups will continue at this time.
Our eStore is open 24/7 to anyone who would prefer to shop online from the comfort of home.
While the SGV Habitat administrative office is open, many staff are working remotely. In the interest of everyone’s health and safety, we encourage you to conduct all business by phone call or e-mail. If you need to stop by our office, there will be someone available to assist you.
If you have a scheduled appointment with a particular staff member, they will contact you regarding any changes to your appointment.
These are challenging times for all of us, but because of your support, many families now have safe and secure homes where they can ride out this health challenge. We thank you for your past support and we look forward to our continued partnership in creating safe, healthy and affordable housing in the San Gabriel Valley.
We invite you to join us in keeping the most vulnerable in our community, our government leaders, and medical professionals in your thoughts and prayers.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch any time. Give us a call at (626) 387-6899 — and keep us posted on how you’re doing!
Thanks for all you bring to SGV Habitat, friend. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Mark Van Lue
Executive Director | San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity